Wednesday, September 7, 2011

one does not stop loving

i'm not sure i have enough fingers.
one does not stop loving.

each of you i hold
in cupped hands, dreaming
and with each
dream
dream
dream

each pain and pinch and slap
each loss and lack
each shovelful at the foot
of the mountain

i hold you all, and my fingers
remember
remember
remember

sshhhh
i will hear no voices

but my meat remembers
meat
meat
meat

and the slap
of flesh on flesh

and the meeting of
meat
meat
meat

i say these syllables
into meaninglessness

i stare at my fingers

and i love you
all
all
all

nowhere is it said
that one must stop

and i will not.




.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic; nowhere is it said... so true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. every one, yes.
    I sometimes wonder what it would be like if they were all gathered together--my loves--and then I realize that they are already, as you say, like fingers, like a fist, perhaps?, around and in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the flesh, fingers, meat, slap and pinch.

    ReplyDelete